Ontario Cancelling Outdated, Ineffective Drive Clean Program

BELLEVILLE, ON — Ontario’s Government for the People announced last week the cancellation of the outdated Drive Clean program, saving money and reducing the regulatory burden on Ontarians while enhancing regulations for the biggest polluters on our roads. Effective April 1, 2019, drivers will no longer be required to get Drive Clean emissions tests and repairs for their passenger vehicles.

“By ending Drive Clean tests and repairs for passenger vehicles, this government is reducing the burden on residents and families who own a car, so they no longer need to take time out of their days to take their vehicles in for unnecessary tests,” said Premier Doug Ford. “We’re saving taxpayers over $40 million every year, while better targeting the biggest polluters to protect Ontario’s air.”

“Industry standards have significantly improved since the Drive Clean program was established in 1999,” said Rod Phillips, Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks. “This has resulted in a steady decrease in the number of cars that fail the emissions test. The Drive Clean program has outlasted its effectiveness and no longer provides value for taxpayer’s money.”

“This is yet another great example of how this government is putting the people of Ontario first,” said Todd Smith, MPP, Bay of Quinte. “By eliminating unnecessary regulations and costs we are keeping more money in people’s pockets.”

A new, enhanced program will focus on heavy duty vehicles like commercial transport trucks and will ensure that Ontario is leading Canada in reducing harmful smog-causing pollutants.

Proposed enhancements to the heavy-duty program will result in additional vehicles tested and almost double the number of polluting vehicles identified for repairs, resulting in higher reductions of harmful pollutants. It will also bring tougher on-road inspections to ensure owners are properly maintaining their vehicle emissions.

More details about the new program for heavy duty vehicles will be available in the coming months.

-30-

For more information, contact:
Lacy Shunock
Constituency Assistant
(613) 962-1144
Lacy.shunock@pc.ola.org

Share

Independent Financial Commission Report finds previous government left $15 billion deficit

BELLEVILLE, ON - Ontario’s Government for the People will continue working to restore trust and accountability in the province’s finances following the release of the Independent Commission of Financial Inquiry’s report into the previous government’s accounting practices.

The report states that the previous government left Ontario with a $15 billion deficit.

“The Commission report reveals a culture of waste embedded at the highest levels of the previous government,” said Finance Minister Vic Fedeli. “In an election year, they pursued a reckless spree of deficit-financed spending.”

As well, the government released Public Accounts of Ontario for 2017-18 today, which show that contrary to claims of a balanced budget, Ontario actually ran a $3.7 billion deficit in 2017-18.

With the release of the Commission report, Ontario’s Government for the People takes the first step of many on the path to restore accountability and trust in government, respect taxpayers, and put Ontario’s fiscal house in order.

“The people of Ontario can count on their government to protect our province’s public finances and deliver on our promise to restore accountability and trust in government,” said Todd Smith, MPP, Bay of Quinte.

-30-

For more information, contact:
Lacy Shunock
Constituency Assistant
(613) 962-1144
Lacy.shunock@pc.ola.org

Share